jendaas

HEART * MINISTRY * MISCELLANIES *

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sickness and the Sovereignty of God

Psalm 41:1-4
"How blessed is he who considers the helpless;
The LORD will deliver him in a day of trouble.
The LORD will protect him and keep him alive,
And he shall be called blessed upon the earth;
And not give him over to the desire of his enemies.
The LORD will sustain him upon his sickbed;
In his illness, You restore him to health.

As for me, I said, "O LORD, be gracious to me;
Heal my soul, for I have sinned against You."

Being sick but perhaps once a year isn't enough...it's good for the soul if you let it slow you down.
In the midst of my wrestlings, I haven't found the time to just be still.........whether it is myself keeping myself busy with my 'to-do list' or doing what others expect of me.....
It is a blessed thing to land on your face with illness......since that is the right frame and posture of one desperately sick with sin, you are enabled to seek the physican of your soul without any distraction.
You can't work because people at work don't want to catch what you're throwin,
You can't go out and have 'fun' cuz.....um...it hurts to breathe cold air when your throat hurts - You have to cancel plans with friends.......and let chores wait.
Nothing tastes as good, nothing smells as good, feels as good - and the cares of this life that matter SO MUCH when you're well.......just don't matter at all.

IT IS A BLESSING......and perhaps a discipline....
If I'm reading the verse above correctly.
To the ones who regard the helpless, God promises to do and be for them all of those powerful things: to deliver him in the day of trouble, to protect him and keep him alive, to NOT give him over to the desires of his enemies (the greatest enemy of believers is not human, it's Satan)
To sustain him on his sickbed and to restore him to health.

The psalmist speaks all of those things of God's character so affirmatively, and then says, "As for me, I need grace, for I have sinned against you, please heal me"
which I would naturally think means that the psalmist didn't regard the helpless, and is asking for forgiveness and grace and mercy in spite of their failures to do what pleases the Father.
It is a plea to God.....and one would have to know the Father's character and trust His lovingkindness to even dare to approach when they have disobeyed the commands.

By Christ we come Lord, and we know that you shall not turn us away, and that you love us for the sake of Your Name - our only Hope.

Heading to my couch soon Lord willing,
Jen2

2 Comments:

At 2/19/2008 10:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great perspective on this, sis. I hope you are feeling better by now, although God seemed to bless you through your sickness. Only a Christian can understand the writer of an old hymn when he wrote: "oh joy that seekeths me through pain!"

Keep fighting the good fight,
Susan

 
At 2/27/2008 10:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

nope, I've never heard of that one... Religious Affections....recommend it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home