jendaas

HEART * MINISTRY * MISCELLANIES *

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mercy

Sitting around Chipotle with my little brother and his wife Sarah shortly after Brent and I had gotten back together, we asked them what were some of helpful things brought up in pre-marital counseling.
The one that I remembered the best hit me today.
Jesse said that the BBC pastor told him that in their marriage when one of them sins against the other, the one who was sinned against has the opportunity to pursue the heart of the one who sinned against them.

At first I pulled a Frank.....and said "Wait......what?"

Because the last thing that I want to do when I'm butt hurt is go to the person who did it and show them love. There is this "Oh, I'll forgive them, but they need to do and say this and thus to win me back - then we're golden."

Though, after thinking about it recently.......that is not how Christ is with us.
When we sin, we get all sheepish and even if we want to go to him, sometimes we just meander about, looking at the cross out of the corner of our eye..........scared and sad that we did something wrong......wondering if it will be forgiven and our conscience cleansed....wanting it, but fearing screwing up again........

But God is the father in the story of the prodigal son. Waiting, watching....ready to forgive and runs to meet us when we run to him.........and he kisses our heads and throws a party because we have returned and repented. There is nothing to earn because we've received, Mercy.

Um...no wonder we're called sheep!?
Animals are funny.....my dog used to poop on the carpet when she was a baby dog.........and as soon as we came home, ZOOM - under the bed she went.....to hide.

My all-over-the-board point is that the counsel is beautifully reflective of Christ and his church.

When we screw up and hurt each other......the one in the wrong usually knows that they are in the wrong......and they are sometimes unsure if they can say the right thing or what to do to at all..........
So, the hurt one has the opportunity to overcome the evil with good and repay a blessing.
Saying something edifying and loving - soaked with forgiveness and acceptance so that the relationship is grounded in mercy.
I'm thinking that this will make for a blessed marriage....and rich and deep friendships.

I don't want to be one of the ones of whom it is said:
2 Tim 3:5
"having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power"

1 Peter 3:9
"Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing."

Let us pursue the hearts of those in the church who hurt us.......and fulfill our calling.
In Christ Jesus,
Jen2

1 Comments:

At 8/24/2007 3:36 PM, Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

my love,

such a good post- God is faithful and forgiving despite our continual downfalls. I am blessed to read this post, and I know that God will always accept me in Jesus Christ even though I continue to make mistakes.

love you my sister

peace and joy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home