jendaas

HEART * MINISTRY * MISCELLANIES *

Monday, August 21, 2006

Zeal or ???~

God's word is the true and proper test of the spirits, since we may be misguided in our zeal (prov19:2).......and I think that oftentimes people are suspicious of zeal and assume that it is sinful anxiety and a lack of trust in the Lord. I know this so well, and was recently reminded that some think this way of me. And so I pray and I read, and pray some more, and I am willing to be contradicted and rebuked, so I sometimes stop and think........am I blind in my zeal here??

When I examine my heart before the Lord, I know that I am naturally inclined to think well of my own motives, and I know that I am definitely in danger of a rooted prejudice.........we all are bound to believe the best. But Paul, even with a clear "conscience" said that he did not even judge himself.
But when I went on a search for a rebuke to my soul in the scriptures, God instead brought me to the Psalms and to 2 Samuel. To David.

Psalm 119:139-141
David said "My zeal consumes me because my foes forget your words; Your promise is well tried and your servant loves it. I am small and despised, but I do not forget your precepts."

And in 2 Samuel 6:14-23
David's own wife holds an unfavorable view of Him.
In their culture it was shameful for a man to lift his garment and to expose his ankles.....and the text says "And David danced before the Lord with all his might. And David was wearing a linen ephod. " Apparently what he was wearing was considered inappropriate for being in public and even considered shameful by the majority......as we can see in the following verses.....

Since out of the heart the mouth speaks, with Michal, the despising in her heart was revealed in vs 20 when she said "How the king of Israel honored himself today, uncovering himself today before the eyes of his servants' female servants, as one of the vulgar fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!!"
She obviously assumes that David is a careless fool, and one with the intent to attract attention to himself. I just stopped and thought AS IF IT WAS ABOUT DAVID making himself look good to others??! Rather, he was led by the spirit obey the command "take no thought for your life"
It would have behooved him to consider the honor / shame mentality of his culture prior to his actions......of dancing before the Lord with all his might, showing his ankles........but he did no such thing. His focus was on God alone.
His focus was right and pleasing in the sight the Lord.
God even punished his wife Michal, for her sin of evil suspicions, and not judging with right judgment. "And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death."

He was a man after God's own heart, regardless of whether or not others were going after God or not....and regardless of whether or not others approved of his actions or not....and he cared not if he was ridiculed when he danced with all his might before the Lord.
David bore shame, as would his promised offspring, the Christ; He was shamed by his own wife, because he rejoiced in the Lord.
Just think of that - his own wife, the one who should have known his heart well, and believed the best of him, thought that he was a fool......
Oh, I feel David's heart in these days.....and I agree wholeheartedly with his reply "- and I will make merry before the Lord. I will make myself yet more contemptible than this, and I will be abased in your eyes."

Love the Lord - you His Saints !! Be glad in Him, Rejoice in Him today -
with all your might !! Regardless of whether or not you should be thought a fool.
God will deal with those who look upon you with contempt and to disgrace......don't even worry about them, even those in the church who raise the brow.....
Let God be praised by you, and let none distract you from the joy of rejoicing in His presence.

Also, guard your heart against evil suspicions of your brothers and sisters in Christ, let us rejoice with those who rejoice (Rom 12:15) and enjoy the company of those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. (2 Tim 2:22)

"But my God lives, and He has my heart; There I am, and love to be." ~ Sarah Edwards.

With Affection ~
Jen2

PS - Um, so can you tell that I LOVE the part about how David danced with all his might ? :)
I just get a great picture of the reckless abandonment and freedom and passion that we are to have with our Father.............Just a beautiful picture

2 Comments:

At 8/21/2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I mean seriously, would would that look like - dancing with all of your might?? Oh man, I love that part too.

Awesome post.

 
At 8/31/2006 4:54 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

You know what else this reminds me of...when Mary spoke to Elizabeth and little John the Baptist leapt within her womb--isn't that AWESOME? My pastor in Fargo took liberties with this once and said he had this vision of Elizabeth blessing Mary and Mary singing her song and John doing a happy dance inside Elizabeth (you had to see his little version of what the dance might have looked like--it was priceless). Not that that episode was ever considered inappropriate, but it just reminded me of it.

Also, God used the same scripture about David and Michal to rebuke ME years ago for judging others' forms of worship. Thanks for the reminder, sister. And though you don't live for the praises of man, I LOVE your zeal and wish we all had more of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home