jendaas

HEART * MINISTRY * MISCELLANIES *

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Difficult and Precious ~ The obedience God requires of women

I've been thinking about this lately........how we single women should take the opportunity to practice respect as often as possible with our brothers in Christ......and sadly, I see myself falling so short of this very important practice. (thank God that I can learn this though)
Of course, the way that we will submit to our own husband will be quite different, but my mentor gave me good counsel that we can and should seize the opportunity to practice respecting and submitting to brothers in Christ whose character warrants it.
So, in attempting to UNLEARN all that the world has taught me (in my pre-saved days).......I've been reading some great books that Ann gave me. One is called "The Fruit of Her Hands" by Nancy Wilson.
I love her writing because she does not yield to psychobabble. She cuts right into the heart with scripture and leaves no room for us to attempt to excuse our sin away.

Here is a snip-it:

Eph 5:33b
"Let the wife see that she respects her husband."

Eccl 10:1
"Dead Flies putrefy the perfumer's ointment, and cause it to give off a foul odor; so does a little folly to one respected for wisdom and honor."

"Wives are commanded to see to it that they respect their husbands. Husbands were not commanded to see to it that their wives respect them. The command is directed at the wives themselves. Certainly this does not mean that the wife's conduct is outside the husband's jurisdiction; but it does appear that Paul's injunction is worded in such a way as to lay the responsibility squarely on the wife's lap. He says, make sure you do this. A wife is to see that this duty is accomplished. Women see that the children are clean, the meals are prepared, that laundry gets done, and countless other tasks, but are they as diligent to see to it that they respect their husbands? "

Men are commanded to love their wives - not based on whether or not they are easily lovable at the moment, but because God has commanded it. Likewise, the wives are to respect their husbands regardless of whether or not they believe that their husband has "earned it." Surely, human husbands will not be perfect, and so our respect can not be based on their performance, but on our own relationship to the Father, and our desire to obey and trust the Lord, knowing that it is good for us to obey this, and all of His commands.
She is so serious about the issue of respect that if a woman comes to her for counsel, the first question that she asks is "Does your husband know that you're seeking my counsel?"
If the wife is seeking help and counsel on how to respect and follow her husband, it makes sense that the wife begin first by asking for his permission before sharing intimate details of their relationship with someone he's never met.

ISN'T that helpful !!!??? I love this book!! Nancy Wilson should have a business card with her title being "Director of Paradigm Shifting"

Wellp.....now....I'm going to prayerfully seek to practice respect......Nancy also gives great answers to my "How" question. :)
I have many more thoughts on this topic, but I have to get to work for now.

Love from above and in all truth ~
J2

3 Comments:

At 8/01/2006 1:13 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

No way, Jen!! No way.
I seriously have just been thinking about this very same thing - I kid you not!

Like, the thoughts this morning that were running through my mind as I sat on the edge of my bed trying to wake up, for some reason were, how does a woman go about respecting her husband, and more importantly now, how does a single woman go about learning how to respect her future husband.
Crazy that you should write on just that thing today!

(Where did you get that book again?) :)

 
At 8/01/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

By the way, love the business card idea - that's fabulous! I can tell already from the exerpts you posted the title would hold true.

 
At 8/02/2006 10:39 AM, Blogger Jen2 said...

That's great friend !

God seems to be working to get you and Heidi and I on the same wave length lately. Have you prayed for our SG women this week yet?
:)

You can find the book "The Fruit of Her Hands" in the BBC bookstore, otherwise, online too.
It's a great read, and one of those books you would want to keep to read over and over again.
Mine is a mess of underlines and highlights.

The Lord answered a huge prayer for me today HUGE....I'll share with you later. Wanna rejoice with me??!!!

Love you dear sister ~
Jen2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home